Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hearn pays tribute to town with new song

(The following article originally appeared in The Huntsville Forester on Aug. 5, 2009.)

By Laura MacLean

Kevin Hearn can’t wait to play in Huntsville.

The keyboardist for Canadian band Barenaked Ladies spent his childhood summers at the family cottage near Novar. He is teaming up with Huntsville’s own Hawksley Workman for a show at the Algonquin Theatre on Wednesday, Aug. 12.

Hearn, who has just released his fifth solo album, Havana Winter, has paid tribute to Huntsville with a new song titled Huntsville.ca. Hearn told the Forester he is looking forward to his upcoming show with Workman, as it is bringing the two talented musicians back to their roots. “Hawksley and I are old pals,” says Hearn. “We used to fight over the last cups of worms at the Novar store.”

While Hawksley will be showcasing tunes from his recent CD Between the Beautifuls, Hearn will be performing with his band Thinbuckle. Hearn says, when Hawksley offered him the chance to join forces and do a show together, he jumped at the opportunity. “About four years ago, I played at the Algonquin Theatre with the Rheo Statics,” he says. “I’ve been going (to Huntsville) so long I remember it before there was an Algonquin Theatre and Main Street was the main street and that was it. My family always had a cottage there so, as soon as I had money, I bought my own. I even spend some time up there in the winter.”

Hearn’s appreciation for peace and quiet, not to mention the beauty that surrounds his Muskoka cottage, was the inspiration behind him writing Huntsville.ca, a song featured on his new album. To pay homage to a town he loves, he will be performing the song at the theatre on Aug. 12.

“I wasn’t going to call it Huntsville.ca because I didn’t feel it needed to be a certain place, but then I thought why not,” explains Hearn. “Anyone who lives in Huntsville knows it’s a different place in the winter than it is in the summer. I started the song based on the perspective of someone who lives there and sees the town change drastically from season to season. The third verse is about fair-weather friends when the weather is sunny and bright.”

Hearn has been part of the Barenaked Ladies since they formed 14 years ago. Over the years, he has also played on albums by CanRock royalty such as The Tragically Hip, Broken Social Scene and Ron Sexsmith. His solo CD has been defined as having the innocence of '60s pop and the wry wit of Randy Newman.

“I’m thrilled and very excited,” Hearn says of his upcoming show. “I really enjoy working with Hawksley and I’m grateful to him for extending an invitation to share the stage with him. Maybe now I’ll get recognized in Huntsville at last.”